under challenging times of no funding, we reach out to you, kindly help us to build our bangka, our paddles, to fulfill building dream bridges with rainbows across the oceans. ~with deep appreciation, the bangka journey core crew ~
- Volunteers! (regular/special projects) We love volunteers as we ourselves are those who work from the heart. Grant-writers, fun-draisers and fundraising ideas/resources. Researchers on traditional seafaring ways in the Philippines. Video Editor – We have tons of footage that need editing. If you would like to help us cut and edit a teaser, mini documentary, we would love to work with you! Event Organizer – organize carvers/paddlers to be!
- Big upgrade items. to make operations smoother, an IPAD, a used but working laptop.
- Weekly items: gift cards for gas funds commuting/carpooling/bridge toll to and from oakland/sf bay area to santa rosa worksite
- Service related items. bangka-builders, paddle-makers (life size and mini-paddles), muscle power to complete bangka for carving, turning over the log – schedule varies, do connect with us.
- Building materials. hardware store gift cards for Tools or better yet got tools? usable (various sizes from 6-10 inches): chisels, filers such as half round file, mill file, slim taper file, round file, rasps including half-round wood rasp, 4-way shoe rasp. recycled wood for paddles/mini-paddles/ misc gifting items to carve at home, access to local green raw bamboo for outriggers (at least 21 feet long, minimum 4 inches in diameter, ideal 5-6inches diameter); gorilla glue, marine epoxy, portable work-table, work gloves (sizes S-M-L); a kestrel tool starting kit for the novice carver
- Books about canoe building and paddle-making specific to the traditions in the Philippines and/or Pacific Islanders. fortunate to have a loaner of a native american paddle-making book but it would be lovely to have our own. please share resources if you have any.
- CommUNITY. got contacts to art or design school? to help with canoe/paddle design. know a local Filipino bangka builder or paddle maker?
- Dreaming big. funds for transport/admin costs/housing/food to bring bangka-builder/paddle-maker/engineer lakbay juan to santa rosa, CA to complete bangka/paddles or to bring back Philip H. Red Eagle for another workshop. Space big enough for a 22 foot bangka in the East Bay Area to house the bangka, a trailer or transport services to transport log to East Bay Area space and transport for future participation in tribal canoe journey in Washington State, funding or funding resources, canoes/kayaks for paddle-training, paddle-training trainers – build our strength and get us fit!